May, 26 2012 – Independence Day of Georgia
The first democratic government of Georgia, led by Noe Jordania – declared its independence on May 26, 1918. The first independent Democratic Republic of Georgia lasted for three years – until February 1921, when Georgia joined the Red Army established Soviet power. From 1922 to 1991 Georgia was part of the Soviet Union.
The country’s independence was restored in 1991 – on March 31, was held a referendum on the issue, confirmed the policy of independence, and on April 9, based on the results of the referendum, Supreme Soviet adopted the Act on the restoration of Georgian independence.
The main celebrations this year were held in two cities of Georgia – in the capital, Tbilisi, and the second largest city of the country – Kutaisi, which is going to be the parliamentary city.
Tbilisi: “Made in Georgia”
Large-scale industrial parade named “Made in Georgia” for the first time this year was held in Tbilisi on May 26. The city authorities have decided that it will become a tradition and each year will be held on this day.
Industrial Parade began at Rustaveli Avenue at 11:00 am by local time and continued till 19.00.
In the specially equipped exhibition halls that day was offered goods, produced across all the country, products of more than 250 companies – furniture, building materials, electronics and computer equipment, textiles, metal products, pharmaceutical products, laser engraving, subway cars of Georgian production, alcoholic and soft drinks, tea and etc.
A special place in the parade of industry took the Georgian military equipment – infantry fighting vehicle – “Lasika”, APC (armored personnel carrier) “Didgori”, unmanned aircraft and other military products.
Throughout the day at Rustaveli Avenue were held thematic presentations, children’s programs, concerts of urban and folk songs and other activities.
In particular, in the “Corner of drinks” in front of the State Academic Theatre of Shota Rustaveli, was held a concert with ensembles “Shvidkatsa”, “Theatrical quartet” as well as popular Georgian singers took part in that concert – Achiko Nizharadze, Nato Gelashvili, David Gomarteli and other Georgian artists. As well was held a show of bartenders.
The program for children was planned at the stairs leading to the entrance of the first school where was held a concert of children’s ensembles “Enki-Banky”, “Basti Bubu,” Studio “Bzikebi” illusionists were performed there, and many different shows were held for children.
“Corner of the Georgian fashion” placed in front of the Youth Palace “, where were performed shows of Georgian designers, the exhibition of photographic works and a concert.
Concerts were also held on the square of “Rose Revolution”, at the defense sector, where was presented the Georgian military equipment. At this place, acted Tbilisi “Big Band”, Chamber Orchestra, Orchestra of the 19th school of arts, Pantomime Theater, and other groups.
Around to the office MAGTIcom at Rustaveli Avenue, in the so-called “paper corner” during the day was held exhibition of caricatures. In the VIP-hall of the “Rustaveli” cinema were showing Georgian films.
At the metro station “Tavisupleba” (Liberty Square), was held an exhibition of handicraft. The concert of folk dances and songs was held near the area of the “Rose Revolution”. At the same territory different editors and publishers presented their products.
During the day in Tbilisi in the park named in honor of “April 9” was held a traditional festival of flowers “Rose Month in Tbilisi 2012.”
The celebrations ended in Tbilisi in the evening: at 9 p.m., at the reconstructed area of Marjanishvili was held a gala concert dedicated to the Independence Day of Georgia with the participation of the Georgian State Dance Ensemble of the Georgian National Ballet “Sukhishvili.” Performance was accompanied by the National Symphony Orchestra of Eugene Mikeladze.
By decision of the city authorities on May 26 public transport – metro and buses served the population for the whole day for free.
In Kutaisi were also held festival activities
The housewarming for the deputies and the parade of Solemn opening of the new parliament building of Georgia in Kutaisi was held in the afternoon. In Georgia’s Independence Day on the initiative of the president in the new parliament building was held a festive meeting. In this regard, according to the amendments of the regulations of the legislature, which involve the holding of meetings, both in Tbilisi and Kutaisi.
By this time, are ready conference hall, hallways and the courtyard of the new parliament. Its construction fully will be completed in autumn, 2012. The Georgian Parliament finally moves in Kutaisi after the announcement of the results of parliamentary elections that will be held in October. Relevant amendments were made to the Constitution of Georgia in July 2011.
After the Solemn opening of the new parliament building, in front of it for the first time in Kutaisi was held a military parade.
The first on parade appeared Georgian APC (armored personnel carrier) “Didgori”, including the newest model, which for the first time sees general public, then were represented infantry fighting vehicle – “Lasika”, artillery and unmanned flying machines, totally more than 10 species of the Georgian military equipment.
The parade continued for about 45 minutes.
Weather on this day was nice both in Tbilisi and Kutaisi.