Ronaldo stated that he wanted to remain at Manchester United because he was “happy here” in an interview with TalkTV.
Al-Hilal reportedly extended a two-year contract to the Portugal attacker, according to the Spanish publication Marca.
“It’s true, yes it’s true,” said Ronaldo when asked about the rumours.
“But what the press keep saying, the garbage that nobody wants me, which is completely wrong.
“And I was happy here to be honest, I was motivated to do a great season here. But they [the media] continue to repeat that nobody wants Cristiano. How do they not want a player who scored 32 goals last year, with a national team?”
Ronaldo said to host Piers Morgan about declining the money, “It’s hard, it’s hard. However, I also believed that I was extremely content with my situation and that I was still able to score goals.
“I still believe that I can score many, many goals and help the team because I still believe that I’m still good and capable to help the national team – even Manchester United. But if you don’t feel around you that the energy’s on your side, it’s difficult.
“Of course, the criticism is going to exist all the time, ‘ah he’s 37, he’s not the same’. But I want to see if some guys of my age can maintain the level that I show. Yes, in this moment, I feel very, very good. I believe that I’m going to do an amazing World Cup and I’m prepared, physically and mentally.”
Ronaldo has been in the news this week as a result of his interview with Morgan, in which he claimed that United had “betrayed” him, that he had “no respect” for the manager Erik ten Hag, and that he was being ejected from the organization.
In the segment that was broadcast on Thursday, Ronaldo went into further detail about his “betrayal,” stating that he did not regret not substituting for Tottenham in the closing few minutes of an Old Trafford victory because he believed Ten Hag had “provoked” him.
Gary Neville, Ronaldo’s former teammate at Old Trafford, claims that United “know they have to terminate” the striker’s contract as a result of the interview, but the forward has no intention of quitting the game.
“I want to play two years more, three years more,” said Ronaldo. “So two or three years maximum. I want to finish with 40. I think 40 will be a good age.
“But I don’t know, I don’t know the future. Sometimes you plan one thing for your life and as I told many times, the life is dynamic. And you never know what’s going to happen.”
‘There can really only be one outcome’ – analysis, Simon Stone, BBC Sport.
Now that everyone is aware of the entire scope of Cristiano Ronaldo’s bombshell interview, Manchester United must decide what to do.
It has already been stated by an outside attorney that Ronaldo’s actions in this interview constitutes a breach of contract. While the second half showed some remorse for his actions, it only served to fuel the fire he put under his relationship with his manager, Erik ten Hag. He didn’t inform the club that he was doing it.
It is unrealistic to think that Ronaldo and Ten Hag can rebuild their friendship and gain each other’s trust. And if he returned to play in front of them before the year was through, he would likely receive a cool response from the fans he claims to still hold dear.
Beyond declaring they need to investigate what Ronaldo did, United has yet to issue a formal statement. They have, however, privately expressed their belief that Ten Hag is leading the club in the correct path and that they are still proud of the members of the staff that Ronaldo publicly mocked.
There truly really only one possible consequence, which appeared to be about to occur when Ronaldo stormed out of Old Trafford during that crucial Tottenham match. Many others were shocked when he later entered the club. It might be some time before he